POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of speed : Re: A question of speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of speed
From: sascha
Date: 9 Jun 2003 15:42:25
Message: <3ee4e321$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for that really long explanation!

If I understand right you say that both, a scanline algorithm and an
unoptimized ray-tracing algorithm will take [image pixel] * [objects in
scene] * [some constant factor] time (the objects could be triangles).

Then you explain how the raytracing algorithm could be optimized and
compare it again with the (unoptimized!) scanline algorithm. Hmmm...

But couldn't the same (or other - e.g. octree) optimizations be applied
to the scanline algorithm too?

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but doesn't your posting suggest that a
raytracer will always outperform a scanline-renderer if just the number
of objects is large enough?

I really don't want to start another scanline vs. raytracing flame-war
here - each has its pros and cons which have already been discussed a
million times - I just doubt that speed is a pro of raytracing...

Sascha